Wax melts are small, scented pieces of wax that are designed to be melted to release their delicious fragrance. They provide a wonderful alternative to candles, as they are flameless and do not require a wick. One of the benefits is that they come in a wide variety of scents, allowing you to choose your favourite fragrance or mix and match to create a custom scent. Additionally, melts typically last longer than traditional candles, providing hours of fragrance.
How do you use wax melts?
Start by selecting a suitable wax burner. You can choose between an electric warmer or a burner that requires a tea light candle for heat. Once you have your wax burner ready, follow these steps to enjoy the fragrance:
1. Prepare the wax burner: Place your wax burner on a heat-resistant surface away from direct sunlight and any flammable items. Ensure the burner is clean and free of any leftover residue.
2. Add wax melts: If using an electric warmer, simply place one or more melts in the dish or tray. If using a traditional burner, add a tea light candle to the base and place the melt on the top dish. The size of the melt will depend on how many you need, as well as how big your melter is.
3. Melt the wax: For electric warmers, turn on the warmer and adjust the heat setting if available. With traditional burners, light the tea light candle and allow the flame to heat the wax tart or melt. As the wax melts, it will release a delightful fragrance into the air.
4. Enjoy the fragrance: Once melted, sit back and enjoy the beautiful aroma that fills your space. They offer a consistent and intense fragrance that can last for many hours in wax melters.
5. Dispose of wax residue: Once you've finished enjoying the fragrance, let the wax cool and harden. For electric warmers, you can easily remove the hardened wax by gently tapping on the dish. With traditional burners, carefully extinguish the candle flame and let the wax solidify before removing it.
Some are reusable and long-lasting, so you can melt them over and over before the fragrance eventually dissolves.
What is a wax burner?
A wax burner, or wax melt warmers, is designed to melt wax cubes and release their fragrance into the air. It consists of a heat source and a dish or tray where the wax tarts are placed.
There are different types of wax burners available on the market. An electric burner is convenient and safe to use, as it requires no open flame. They have a built-in heat source that melts the wax when turned on. Tea light warmers, on the other hand, use a tea light candle placed underneath the dish. The flame of the candle provides the heat needed.
The purpose of a wax burner is to create a beautiful aroma in your space. When the wax melts are heated, they release their fragrance, filling the room with a lovely scent. The wax burner acts as a safe and efficient way to enjoy the fragrance of various types of wax melt without the need for an open flame.
Give the perfect present with our wax melt gift set
How long do wax melts last - can you make them last longer?
The duration of wax melts can vary depending on several factors as there is a wide range available. The size of the wax tart is one factor that determines how long it will last. Larger melts generally have a longer burn time compared to smaller ones. Additionally, the type of wax used can also affect the longevity. Paraffin wax melts tend to burn quicker than soy wax melts.
On average, wax melts can last anywhere between 4 to 8 hours. However, this can vary depending on the brand and specific product. It's always a good idea to check the packaging or product description for the estimated burn time. At buff, we invest in the best ingredients for a long-lasting wax melt or tart, our soy melts can be reused up to 10 times, offering up to 40 hours of gorgeous and strong scents.
To maximise the longevity, it is important to use a suitable heat source. Electric burners or wax melt burners with a steady heat source provide the best results. Tea light warmers can also be used, but the burn time may be shorter due to the smaller flame. Most tea lights burn for around four hours at a time, which is the safety suggestion.
Only burn the melts at four hours at a time, allowing them to cool in between uses. Fragrance evaporates when the wax is melted, so this will help the melts last longer.
Paraffin Vs soy wax melts
There are two popular options available: paraffin wax and soy wax. Each type has its own unique characteristics and benefits.
Paraffin wax melts are made from petroleum byproducts. They are known for their strong fragrance intensity, filling the room with aroma. However, it is important to note that paraffin wax is not considered eco-friendly, as it is derived from non-renewable resources and releases harmful pollutants when burned.
On the other hand, soy wax melts are made from soybean oil, a renewable resource. They have a more subtle fragrance intensity compared to paraffin wax melts but still provide a pleasant scent. Soy wax melts have a lower melting point. The biggest advantage of soy wax melts is their eco-friendliness. They are biodegradable and produce less soot and toxins when burned, making them a more sustainable choice.
Do wax melts lose their scents if not used?
Wax melts do not lose their scents if not used. These handy products retain their fragrance even if they are not melted, ensuring that you can enjoy their wonderful aroma whenever you choose to use them. The secret lies in the fragrance oils used in wax melts. These oils are specially formulated to slowly release scent over time, ensuring a consistent and long-lasting fragrance experience.
As long as the wax melt remains unused and is stored properly, away from heat or direct sunlight, the scent will stay intact. This means that you can stock up on your favourites without worrying about them losing their fragrance. Whether you decide to melt them immediately or save them for later, you can be confident that the delightful scent will be retained until you are ready to enjoy it.
How many wax melts to put in your burner
When it comes to using wax melts in your burner, it's important to find the right balance to achieve the desired fragrance level. The number you put in your burner will depend on the type of wax used and the size of your melter.
Starting with a single wax melt is a good rule of thumb. This allows you to gauge the strength of the fragrance and adjust accordingly. If you find that the scent is too subtle, you can add more to enhance the aroma.
For smaller burners or melters, it is generally recommended to use one or two melts at a time. This prevents overwhelming the space with too much fragrance. Larger burners can accommodate three or more wax melts, or a wax tart (which is typically bigger), providing a more intense and longer-lasting aroma.
It's important to note that each brand and type may have different melting points and release fragrances at different rates. Some melts are more powerful than others, so you may need fewer to achieve the desired scent throw.
Experimentation is key to finding the perfect balance. They offer a wonderful alternative to traditional soy candles.
Can't decide which scent to use? Our soy wax gift box has five delicious fragrances to choose from.
How to change wax melts in a burner?
Changing wax melts in your burner or warmer is a simple process. Follow these easy steps to change your wax melts:
1. Wait for the wax to fully melt and cool: Before changing, it's important to ensure that the wax is fully melted and cooled. This will prevent any accidental burns or spills during the process.
2. Safely remove the old wax: Once cooled down, use a paper towel or a spoon to safely remove the old wax from the burner dish. Dispose of the old wax properly according to your local regulations. Never pour wax down the sink. Some fragrance oils are toxic to aquatic life so need to be disposed of in general rubbish. Soy wax is biodegradable and will eventually break down in the environment.
3. Add new melts: Take your desired new fragrance and gently place it in the empty wax melt dish. Be careful when handling the hot wax to avoid any accidents.
4. Enjoy the new fragrance: Turn on your wax warmer and let the heat melt the wax, releasing its wonderful fragrance. Sit back, relax, and indulge in the captivating aroma.
The choice of when to change the scent is entirely up to you. Fragrance evaporates over time, so if you feel it's disappeared you can switch it up. However, we can grow used to certain smells so this may be the case. Try moving it to another room, or turning it off before warming it back up again to see if you can still smell the scent.
What to do with old wax melts?
Don't throw away your old wax melts just yet! There are several creative ways to repurpose them and get the most out of their lingering fragrance. Here are a few ideas to consider:
1. Combine scents: If you have leftover scents, why not melt them together to create your own unique fragrance? Experiment with combinations and create a personalised scent that suits your preferences.
2. Homemade candles: Instead of letting old wax melts go to waste, melt them down and use the melted wax to make your own scented traditional candles. You can pour the melted wax into moulds or containers, add a wick, and let it solidify. Enjoy the beautiful fragrance and the satisfaction of creating something new.
3. Natural air fresheners: Place old wax melts in drawers, closets, or small pouches and use them as natural air fresheners. The fragrance will gently seep into the surrounding area, keeping it smelling fresh and pleasant.
4. Wax sachets for linens: Want to add a lovely scent to your linens? Take an old cloth bag or a piece of fabric, place the old wax melts inside, and tie it securely. Toss the sachets in your drawers, closets, or even under your pillow for a delightful aroma every time you open them.
If you plan to reuse the melts, read our guide on how to make candles for safety precautions and hazards. Repurposed melts and candles should not be given away as gifts or to sell, until all safety testing has been passed, following government regulations.
Shop our range of soy wax candles here, perfect gifts that are kind to the planet.